miércoles, 2 de abril de 2014

The Golden Age: Poems of the Spanish Renaissance Group Read

April's Caravana de recuerdos Ibero-American Readalong group read selection is the Edith Grossman-curated The Golden Age: Poems of the Spanish Renaissance, published by W.W. Norton & Company in 2007 with a facing page English translation of poems also appearing in their original Castilian, which presents an all-star lineup of Spain and New Spain verse talent from about the middle of the 15th century to the end of the 17th century: Jorge Manrique, Garcilaso de la Vega, Fray Luis de León, San Juan de la Cruz, Luis de Góngora, Lope de Vega, Francisco de Quevedo, and Sor Juana Inés de la Cruz.  Household names all, dig?  But if those names alone aren't enough to whet your poetic appetite to the point where you're practically salivating to join me for the group read, here's a juicy six year old post from our friend Tom of Wuthering Expectations in which he notes that "this is really an admirable book" and "my only actual complaint is that the book is much too short."  What he said!  Anyway, thanks to Tom for the push to add this collection to the syllabus for this year since it includes some of the most famous and the most dazzling Spanish poetry of the Siglo de Oro era, it's still in print and it's available for less than a $15 cover price in the U.S.  N.B. Those who'd like to read along with me should plan on coming back for the discussions somewhere around April 28th thru 30th; those who'd just like to see me fall on my face wrestling with a rare poetry offering in public can come back around the same time.  No harm either way.

Other Readers

8 comentarios:

  1. "...those who'd just like to see me fall on my face wrestling with a rare poetry offering in public..."

    Yes, yes, yes! (to paraphrase Molly Bloom....)

    ResponderBorrar
    Respuestas
    1. Jill, how did I know that I could count on you to be present while I embarrassed myself in public more than usual?!? In any event, thanks, I think, for your Molly Bloom-like outburst of approval. :D

      Borrar
  2. Richard, if you keep proposing these group reads I'll never get anything else done. But this one I would very much like to join (believe it or not, I just read a selection of Garcilaso de la Vega's poems and would very much like some more of the same!).

    ResponderBorrar
    Respuestas
    1. Scott, what a nice surprise! I'd feared that the only company I might have for this "group read" would be curious onlookers looking for a cheap thrill like Jill above and maybe 1-2 poetry-lovin' Amateur Readers who had already read the book. Glad to have your active, Garcilaso de la Vega-inspired collaboration as it's been many years since I've read most of these great poets. Anyway, excited to have your company again!

      Borrar
  3. Have just ordered, but since it's coming from the States, may arrive too late to join in. More importantly though, while looking on Amazon, I discovered a book I really wanted, price at £72, reduced to £0.29, so I bought that too. (It's for a long-term Petrarch-in-Latin project).

    ResponderBorrar
    Respuestas
    1. Obooki, wonderful news assuming the book gets there in time. In any event, it'll be nice to hear your thoughts about the work(s) whenever you get around to it. Nice score on the Petrarchus, by the way!

      Borrar
  4. Well, as I've been wrestling with poetry myself lately, and my library has a copy on hand (odd, I don't even have to place it on hold...), I think I'll take a stab at joining in for this one, Richard. Though I don't promise to finish on time!

    ResponderBorrar
    Respuestas
    1. Amanda, similarly awesome news and no worry about finishing on time (some of us are still reading 2666, the group read of which was supposed to be over in February!). Look forward to your thoughts on the poetry.

      Borrar