martes, 31 de mayo de 2016

Mexicanos perdidos en México (2016): February-May Links


Considering how I suddenly lost interest in reading for my own reading event about halfway through it (nothing against Mexican lit, but man, reading to a timetable really sucks sometimes), I'm both pleased and a little embarrassed to bring you this wrap-up list of hot link action for Mexicanos perdidos en México (2016) with so few of my own reviews on it.  That being said, thanks to all of you who read along with the gang during the fiesta--I'll try to be less of a blogging deadbeat next time (or maybe during Spanish Lit Month in July), but until then many other non-deadbeats' offerings can be sampled and savored below.  Good stuff!

Amateur Reader (Tom), Wuthering Expectations
(on Juan Rulfo's The Burning Plain and Other Stories and Pedro Páramo)

Grant, 1streading's Blog
The Large Glass by Mario Bellatin

John, The Modern Novel
Dos crímenes [Two Crimes] by Jorge Ibargüengoitia

Richard, Caravana de recuerdos
Balas de plata by Élmer Mendoza
El mago de Viena por Sergio Pitol

Scott, seraillon

Scott G.F. Bailey, six words for a hat
(on Pedro Páramo by Juan Rulfo)

Séamus, Vapour Trails

14 comentarios:

  1. How dare you deny me my identity as a deadbeat! Withdraw that declaration at once.

    ResponderBorrar
    Respuestas
    1. I don't see any reason why your fine Yuri Herrera review notwithstanding, you couldn't be considered as at least an honorary deadbeat, Séamus. Declaration withdrawn!

      Borrar
  2. I laughed at your first sentence :) I also hate reading on a timetable.

    Thanks for the links. They look to lead to some interesting posts. I will check them out.

    ResponderBorrar
    Respuestas
    1. Having read all these authors before except for Ibargüengoitia, I'm quite sure you'll find some interesting writers and reviews here. And that timetable folly aside, I'm about to set forth on two looong group reads this summer whilst I'm already in the middle of an 875-page history tome. I must be nuts!

      Borrar
  3. Timetables are the worst. However, this sort of "challenge" works well with a completely absent, Cesárea Tinajero-like host.

    The results were good for me - Mario Bellatin, who? Jorge Ibargüengoitia, who? I learned a lot.

    ResponderBorrar
    Respuestas
    1. Glad my lack of participation didn't hurt matters, Tom, and thanks so much for turning in that swell Rulfo post of yours. A "Cesárea Tinajero-like host"? Hey, I kinda like that!

      Borrar
    2. I would draw here a sketch of an open windshield if I had any drawing talent. Thanks for hosting, Richard. I had ambitions for one or two other contributions that never materialized, but may return to them off the timetable.

      Borrar
    3. Off the timetable is as good a time as any, Scott, and thanks again for contributing that ace review. Love that open windshield follow-up to Tom's idea, by the way!

      Borrar
  4. Cheers for the links, Richard. Sorry I missed out on this event (mostly on account of a lack any Mexican lit on my shelves at home). Hopefully I'll be all set for Spanish Lit Month in July - looking forward to it.

    ResponderBorrar
    Respuestas
    1. Thanks for following along, Jacqui, and hope you have better luck with your SLM reading choices in July. While I'm at it, thanks for "pressuring" us into doing SLM again this year. Cheers!

      Borrar
  5. I've actually started reading 2 Mexican novels for this even, Richard. One obscure and one not-so, both in Filipino translation. The obscure one (Quetzalcóatl by José López-Portillo y Pacheco, tr. Rodolfo Cordon Lay-Mazo) is unreadable, at least in translation, so I had to stop. Who knows I might finish the other one for the Spanish month. And/or review a Spanish novel I read earlier this year. Procrastination aside.

    ResponderBorrar
    Respuestas
    1. I'm sorry to hear about your mixed luck, Rise, but I'll look forward to your reviews whenever you get around to them. Procrastination is a manly trait in my book!

      Borrar