miércoles, 5 de noviembre de 2014

The 2014 Argentinean (& Uruguayan) Literature of Doom: October Links + Don Quixote Group Read Reminder (Non-Doom)

 
Having been an altogether lackluster host of the 2014 A(&U)LoD over its first two months this year, I'm going to try to make amends (read: do my best to make everybody sick and tired of hearing about Argentinean and Uruguayan lit) by contributing at least a weekly post on an Argentinean or Uruguayan theme from here on out for the remainder of the program.  Hopefully tinkering with the new posting schedule won't lead to an increase in altogether lackluster posts, but you can't have everything, can you?  In the meantime, here are some links to the great big name Doom posts on Quiroga, Bioy Casares and Ocampo, and Cortázar that Tom, Jacqui, and Miguel penned in October to go alongside my lone Juan Carlos Onetti review.  Enjoy!

Amateur Reader (Tom), Wuthering Expectations

JacquiWine, JacquiWine's Journal
Where There's Love, There's Hate by Adolfo Bioy Casares and Silvina Ocampo

Miguel, St. Orberose

Richard, Caravana de recuerdos
Juntacadáveres by Juan Carlos Onetti


P.S. I'm still planning on rereading Don Quixote in November and December if any of you are up for joining me for a good time at the end of the year, but I've decided to push back the posting schedule for part I of the novel to late November/early December and part II to late December/early January since the book is big and I've already been behind on almost every group read I've participated in this year--even the little ones.  I'll leave a list of other bloggers who had at one time expressed interest in reading DQ together below, but no worries if you'd like to read along but at a different pace.  The target dates are just for discussion purposes.

Other Don Quixote Readers?

12 comentarios:

  1. Thanks for the shout-out and other links, Richard. I'll pass on Don Quixote, if you don't mind, as I'm already committed to another couple of readalongs in December. You can look forward to another Argentine review from me either late Nov/early Dec, though...all being well!

    ResponderBorrar
    Respuestas
    1. Understood about the Quixote, Jacqui, but nice to hear that you have another Argentinean book in the pipeline. I look forward to the surprise! You're very welcome about the links, of course, and thank you for reading and writing along with the rest of the gang. Cheers!

      Borrar
  2. Heh, I was half-hoping you'd forget about Don Quixote. But....since you've called me out, I probably should at least attempt to finally read the whole thing. It does seem that when I join in readalongs, the do provide the necessary incentive to finish reasonable close to on time.

    ResponderBorrar
    Respuestas
    1. Ha, I'd actually seriously thought about postponing the DQ readalong, Amanda, and was bracing myself to read it on my lonesome if everybody else came to their senses about reading such a doorstopper at the end of the year! Anyway, no pressure, but hope you have the time to hang in there with it. Cheers!

      Borrar
  3. I feel that I have already committed to Lugones for next year's event. Logically.

    I promise to buy a hot fudge sundae at DQ. At some point soon I will write about Parra.

    ResponderBorrar
    Respuestas
    1. Following Quiroga with Lugones is not only logical but methodical, Tom. I see you working! Intend to have my Parra post up sometime this weekend--would love to celebrate it with a trip to that other DQ for a nice, satisfying Blizzard, but they're more spread out in MA than they were where I used to live in CA. Chowder on the other hand...

      Borrar
  4. Richard - Like Amanda, I was half hoping you'd forget about the read-along. I'd planned to get a head start with Don Quixote while traveling last month, but lack of room in my bag meant that it had to be jettisoned at the last moment. I'll see what I can do, though!

    ResponderBorrar
    Respuestas
    1. Scott, welcome back from your vacation and thanks for checking in. Since everybody--including me--seems to have competing reading priorities or just not enough time right now, I think I'll call off the official readalong after all and just reread DQ at my leisure when the spirit moves me. It's too good a book to rush, and I want no part in pressuring any DQ first-timers to rush through the book for the sake of a group read commitment that was made months ago. Anyway, it's kind of a relief for me that you and Amanda have said similar things in back to back days; this will open up more time for Argentinean and French books for me in November and December, and I'd already proven what a flaky group read host I was earlier in the year anyway so no worries on that account. Cheers!

      Borrar
    2. Thanks, Richard. I regret that my comment may have pushed you to abandon the DQ group read, but feel somewhat reassured that you were going to find it a "rush" too. Hopefully you can resurrect this when everyone is better placed in terms of ability to devote time to it.

      Borrar
    3. Not a problem at all, Scott. The new Cervantes "plan" for Bellezza and me and hopefully you and Amanda if time permits is to start reading DQ "soon" and to check back in in January or February to see how things are going. As flexible and vague a readalong timetable as ever evented but a stress-free one for all concerned all the same!

      Borrar
  5. Richard llevo adelante un club de lectura donde leemos este libro. D. Quijote de La Mancha. Creo que cuando lo terminemos, al menos para mi, será el libro más importante que me he leído.
    Yo vivo en La Mancha, tierra Cervantina
    Un saludo
    Teresa

    ResponderBorrar
    Respuestas
    1. Teresa, muchas gracias por tu comentario y perdona la demora en responderte. Tengo muchas ganas de releer el Quijote y de cabalgar con DQ y Sancho de nuevo después de tanto tiempo. ¡Qué suerte lo de vivir en La Mancha! ¡Saludos!

      Borrar