lunes, 1 de diciembre de 2014

The 2014 Argentinean (& Uruguayan) Literature of Doom: November Links

With less than a month left in this year's Argentinean (& Uruguayan) Literature of Doomfest, I guess I better get cracking reading/procrastinating/procrastinating some more in order to crank out all those unwanted end of the year Aira/Arlt/Lamborghini et al. posts I use to drive blog traffic away like fine Swiss clockwork each December out here in Caravanalandia (actually, the Aira ones are occasionally "popular" truth be told).  You, on the other hand, still have one month left to leisurely ponder and post on as little as a single piece of Argentinean or Uruguayan literature for less antagonistic reasons of your own choosing if you like.  While I await your decision, here are November's 2014 A(&U)LoD links.  Cheers!

 JacquiWine, JacquiWine's Journal
Ghosts by César Aira and a Zaha Malbec wine match

Max Cairnduff, Pechorin's Journal
Thursday Night Widows by Claudia Piñeiro
Where There's Love, There's Hate by Adolfo Bioy Casares and Silvina Ocampo

Richard, Caravana de recuerdos
 Glaxo by Hernán Ronsino
"Lo que dice César Aira" by Sergio Pitol*
Don Segundo Sombra by Ricardo Güiraldes

Séamus, Vapour Trails
Memory of Fire: Genesis by Eduardo Galeano

*Yes, I'm aware that Pitol is a Mexican, but he's been granted honorary Argentinean Literature of Doom citizenship for the purposes of this post.

8 comentarios:

  1. Thanks for the links, Richard. I'm looking forward to seeing what you pick for December!

    ResponderBorrar
    Respuestas
    1. Not a problem, Jacqui! I have a couple of Doomish pieces in mind and a couple of more crowd-pleasing type things. "Something for everybody," ha ha!

      Borrar
  2. Ricardo, you not yet read that big Leopoldo Marechal novel, have you? I only just learned it existed. Very curious. Maybe I will have the strength for it next fall. No, probably not.

    ResponderBorrar
    Respuestas
    1. I picked up a nice critical edition of Adán Buenosayres a few years back, Tom, but have yet to get to it other than reading the first 25 pages or so. What I dipped into promised to be plenty crazy, but I'm so disorganized with my reading plans these days that that book will likely be plenty dusty when I return to it through no fault of its own. Marechal was something of a controversial figure in Bs.As. letters or came out on the wrong side of some writerly disputes with Borges' crowd late in life, I can't recall.

      Borrar
  3. Hi Richard, The presence of builders in my house and a promise to lead a readalong of What A Carve Up! for late December probably means I won't get any further with my Galeano posts until January at the earliest. Thanks for linking this one.

    ResponderBorrar
    Respuestas
    1. Not a problem, Séamus--I'm just glad you had time to contribute a partial review of a book I'd heard about but actually knew very little about! Of course, what I'm really looking forward to is the day your builders and your readalong obligations leave you enough free time to fill us in on your most recent Onetti experience(s). Cheers!

      Borrar
  4. Hi Richard, Jacqui flagged this to me. I have coincidentally a couple of Argentinian lit reviews myself this year, here: https://pechorinsjournal.wordpress.com/category/argentinian-literature/

    Both from November.

    Is there a way to subscribe to your blog via email? The reason I don't follow any blogspot blogs is simply that I find it hard to subscribe for new posts/comments via email, but if I could I would.

    ResponderBorrar
    Respuestas
    1. Hi Max,

      Thanks for the visit and the note about your two Argentinean lit posts. I look forward to reading them and will be happy to link to them as well. In response to your question, I added a gadget to the sidebar to enable subscribing my e-mail; you can find it two spots below the Argentinean (& Uruguayan) Literature of Doom photo near the top. Thanks for the inquiry--hope that helps. Cheers!

      Borrar